It isn’t easy choosing a wedding photographer. First you need to decide on what style of wedding photography is for you. Read all about the most common styles here. Once you know what style of wedding photography you would like you then need to find the right person for the job. We bring you the full list of questions to ask your wedding photographer to really make sure they are up to the task. At the end of the day, they only get that one chance to capture it all perfectly for you to look back on for years to come.
- Do you have our wedding date available?
If it is no and you are set on your date then its time to look for a new photographer.
- How much notice do you need to make a booking?
- Are you the photographer who will shoot our wedding?
If you are meeting with a big company they may have more than one photographer we always recommend you ask to meet with the photographer you will have on the day.
- How long have you been shooting weddings?
- How many weddings have you shot before?
- How would you describe your style?
Make sure you have a good idea of different styles of wedding photography before you go to your appointment. If they mention a style you aren’t familiar with ask them to explain it a little further.
- Do you have a portfolio we can view?
- Do you have a list of references we can contact?
All photographers should have a list of references they will share with you without hesitation.
- What happens if you are ill and unable to shoot my wedding?
A good photographer should always have a backup plan, just in case.
- What wedding packages do you have and what is the cost?
- Do you include an engagement session?
- Are we able to customise any of your packages to suit our requirements?
- How many hours will you be photographing for and what will this include?
Make sure you have already discussed between yourselves exactly what parts of your wedding day you would like the photographer present.
- Are we able to buy any extra hours?
- Are you able to have any of our images ready to display in a slide show or printed for our evening guests to see?
- Are you able to provide a photo booth?
- How many photographs will we receive from you and in what format?
Photographers will take hundreds of images on your day but you will only see the chosen few. Make sure you know roughly what to expect and how to expect them.
- Will you retouch our photographs?
A photograph straight out of the camera is only half-finished, all images need at least basic formatting.
The Wedding Day
- Will you be photographing any other events on the same day?
Your package may finish by 13.00 in which case you won’t need your photographers’ attention after this. You just want to make sure no other commitments could have a negative impact on your day.
- Will you have an assistant with you?
- What will you (and the assistant) wear?
- Can we provide you with a list of shots we would like?
As much as we all have the shots that cannot be missed, be careful not to give your photographer too long a list. Your hire them because you trust them, they know the standard formal photographs to capture. Just let them know any that aren’t standard you would like.
- Will our guests be allowed to take photographs as well?
You would hate for your guests to not be able to take any photographs during your day, but equally, you want wedding photographs with everyone looking in the same direction. Have a chat with your photographer about how they will manage this on the day.
- If we are running over on time will you stay as long as required?
- Do you have public liability insurance?
- How much deposit will we have to pay?
- When is the full amount due? Do you offer a payment plan?
- What is your refund/cancellation policy?
- When will we receive the written contract?
You should always have a written contract from any wedding supplier.
- What equipment will you use? Do you have any backup equipment?
- Have you shot a wedding at our venue before? If not will you go and view the venue prior to our day?
- Will you have your own transport for on the day?
- Will we need to provide you with any food during the day?
- Do you have any requirements from our venue for on the day?
- What is the ordering process after the wedding?
- How long will it take for us to receive our photographs?
- Do you feel comfortable with this photographer?
Ultimately you need to remember to go with your gut instinct on this one. Has the photographer made you feel at ease? Will you be comfortable sharing your wedding day with them? Do you trust them?
Download this full list by clicking on the image below and take it along with you to your photography appointment. That way you won’t miss anything.